Change Your Address
- Go to USPS.com/move to change your address online. This is the fastest and easiest way, and you immediately get an email confirming the change. There is a $1 charge to change your address online.
- Go to your local post office and request a Mover’s Guide packet. Inside the packet is PS Form 3575.
How long does it take for mail to be forwarded to a new address?
How long does it take for my mail to be forwarded? We’d recommend filing your change of address form at least 2 weeks prior to your move as it typically takes the USPS between 7-12 business days to process mail forwarding requests.
What do you do with mail when you move?
How It Works
- If you’re making a permanent move, use this service to update your address.
- If your move is temporary, you can use this service for as short as 15 days or as long as 1 year.
- Direct your mail to a new address with a few clicks and a $1.05 charge to your credit card (the charge verifies your identity).
What mail Cannot be forwarded?
If you don’t have a current forwarding order (change of address) it will be returned with the reason of non-delivery. Standard mail is not forwarded unless it is endorsed Forward Service Requested. That includes all types of standard mail; letters, flats(catalogs) and parcels. Package services are forwarded.
When should you change your address when moving?
Opinions differ on the matter of how far in advance you should change your address when moving house. Some experts advise that you do it at least two weeks before you move so that by the time you arrive in your new home, your mail will have already been forwarded to the right mailing address.